Lahore, February 24, 2020 (PPI-OT):LABARD Mela – 2020 held on Saturday at Ghulam Jilani Park that was attended by special children, LABARD President Pervez Malik, LCCI President Irfan Iqbal Sheikh, LABARD Secretary General Saeed Khan, governing body members and people from different sectors.
The Lahore Businessmen Association for the Rehabilitation of Disabled (LABARD) Mela for the special children has become an annual cultural event of the City as is being participated by a large number of disabled persons who enjoy all the entertainments like other healthy members of the society.
As many as more than 5000 special children belonging to various institutions took part in different activities at the LABARD Mela. The basic aim of holding this mela is to give encouragement to the disabled persons and make them useful citizens of the society so that they could be able to play a positive role in their future life. “Special children are the future of Pakistan and we have to take care of them to ensure progress and prosperity of the country”, said LABARD President Pervez Malik, LCCI President Irfan Iqbal Sheikh and other speakers.
Addressing the participants, the LABARD President Pervez Malik and LCCI President Irfan Iqbal Sheikh said that it is duty of every citizen to play his role for the betterment of the society. They said that over 10 per cent population of all the developing countries consists of disabled persons that need to be taken care of by the rest of the 90 per cent in the larger interests of the whole society. They said that everyone should cooperate with organizations like LABARD as around 200,000 physically challenged people are waiting for help in the suburbs of Lahore.
While appreciating the LCCI role in making the event a big success, Pervez Malik said that the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry is also extending every help to the Lahore Businessmen Association for the Rehabilitation of disabled persons as they are an important segment of the society and their active participation is necessary for country’s development. Both the speakers said that there is a need to launch specific programs for training and education of disabled persons.
The LCCI President Irfan Iqbal Sheikh suggested that the frequency of the LABARD Mela should be increases and should be arranged twice a year. He said that the special persons possess God gifted qualities but we all should make collective efforts for enhancing their skills so that they could become useful members of the society. The LCCI President paid rich tributes to the organisers of the LABARD mela and said that the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry would continue to extend cooperation with LABARD for this noble cause.
He said that there was a provision in law that private sector and public sector will employ special persons by 1% and 2% respectively. LCCI will motivate its member companies to show greater compliance to this law and may refer interested members to contact Job Placement Cell of LABARD in order to have suitable candidates. The physically disabled thoroughly enjoyed the festival as many games and cultural activities were arranged for them. Many of them performed at the stage as well. Each handicapped was given a present containing some gifts and eateries.
For more information, contact:
Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI)
Lahore -54000, Pakistan